Costa Rica presents its national tourism plan – Q COSTA RICA
QCOSTARICA – With three major objectives for the growth and improvement of Costa Rica’s tourism industry and for tourism to remain the leader of the national economy, the Instituto Costarricense de Turismo (ICT) presented the National Plan of Costa Rica tourism 2022-2027.
“After months of joint work between the public and private sectors, we are happy to have the guide that will allow us to continue promoting tourism and its chains, adapted to the new reality”, said William Rodríguez López, Minister of Tourism, when presenting the document. strategy at the Palais des Congrès last Friday.
The backbone of the 2022-2027 Plan is Costa Rica’s famous tourism development model which is based on three pillars: sustainability, innovation and inclusiveness, and which aims for an equitable distribution of benefits to contribute to improving the quality of life. to which Costa Rica aspires as a nation.
In addition, the Plan aims to promote the country’s position as a valuable society, to promote a shared vision of the future and to promote environmental, social and economic tasks.
Rodolfo Lizano, Director of Tourism Planning and Development at ICT, explained that the vision set out in the plan is for tourism to continue to be one of the main sectors of the national economy, as well as to value, take advantage of and promote natural resources. resources responsibly. , cultural and human that are an integral part of the tourist experience that the country offers to national and international tourists.
“At the same time, that tourism is an inclusive and resilient activity that generates links, innovative, safe and high quality services for local and foreign tourists, allowing them to connect with the Costa Rican essence, its riches, its values and with the valuable society we have built together,” added Lizano.
Goals to reach
The National Tourism Plan of Costa Rica 2022-2027 has defined as its first objective the promotion of a resilient tourist activity that makes sustainable use of tourism and cultural heritage.
The objective is to have, by 2027, tourism destination management plans that integrate local tourism development, sustainable production and measures to combat climate change and its effects in the 32 tourism development centers of the country.
The second objective is to promote the distribution of demand in the 32 tourist development centers of Costa Rica to continue improving the quality of life of the communities in the different regions. The objective within five years is to reach and exceed the level of 70 points of the Social Progress Index in these centres.
The third objective is to maintain tourism as the main driver of the Costa Rican economy and thus achieve by 2027 an income of 4.9 billion US dollars in foreign currency, the arrival of 3.8 million tourists in the country for all routes and 400,000 cruise passengers disembarking in all ports of the country.
The six strategies for achieving the goals are:
- Adopt innovative, sustainable and inclusive practices to promote the efficient use of tourism resources for the benefit of tourists, businesses and the general population, always in harmony with nature.
- Improve the offer of products focused on diversification, innovation, inclusion, sustainability and quality, in order to generate greater added value for tourists.
- Increase the interest of the main source markets of international tourists and of the national tourist market as a differentiated destination, promoting a global strategy to position Costa Rica as a valuable society suitable to be visited throughout the year.
- Strengthen inclusive production chains by promoting the productivity and competitiveness of enterprises, for the generation and distribution of benefits between local actors and communities.
- Generate a good perception of the tourist experience by visitors.
- Ensure that tourism leads effective inter-institutional coordination, promoting impact initiatives for the sector.